Saturday, April 21, 2007

Fashion Rant

OK, I am one of the first to admit that I am not a fashion diva nor am I an expert. I firmly believe that there are trends that look good on most bodies (what I call a classic look) and then there are those that are body specific (stove pipe pants are a wonderful example: my body cannot tolerate stovepipes as they would more resemble smokestacks!). The other day while snoop shopping, I came across a number of young women, teenage girls and, yes, I am sorry to admit it, middle aged women who were preening in front of the mirrors of the change room comparing their new outfits. Every single one of them had similar builds, one that resembles a bean pole, and completely coincidentally (I hope) they were all blondes ... back to the outfits. They all had on black leggings that ended mid calf, long white shirts or T shirts or layers of tank tops all over top of a skirt. The only variety was in the skirt styles and the show height. IT seemed the older the lady, the higher the heel. Here is an example of the look that I spied over at one of the few fashion commentary sites I frequent. Go Fug Yourself is a great site to laugh at each morning as you contemplate what you see on the subway, bus, or in your parking lot.

My first thought of these women in the change room? "Hey this must be a group of girls trying out to be a new Pussycat Doll" My second thought? "Is there a Madonna's Material Girl reunion in town?"
I guess you can tell where I am going with this ... I don't think this is a flattering look. Yes, it shows the legs off, but it also cuts them off visually. And what type of a line does it give the body? Too many conflicting shapes ... baggy tops hide whatever shape is up top and some of the tanks being worn were a tad too snug, showing every wrinkle in the skin. Don't get me wrong, I lovedAudrey Hepburn in her back tights, ballet flats and black jacket. It is a look that can easily be pulled off if done well and if you have the body for it. While the majority of these women did have bodies that could wear all of these elements separately, I am of the opinion that they should not be combined like this. At any age. I think that Ms. Hepburn would have agreed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave hints, tips and tricks that apply to the post.