Friday, April 27, 2007

Dragons take 2

Well, the second pair of pants was cut in the 14 width wise. I also moved the horizontal seamline up a few inches in the legs. I couldn't zip up the pants, but the back fit a bit better in the 14. I had to do some major surgery to the pants, but I think I have it figured out. I cut them out again with an extra 1/4" at all vertical seams and will sew s.a. at 3/8" vice 5/8". That should give me the extra ease I need. I also took a horizontal dart tuck in the inside upper back panel to remove some of the fullness that has been bugging me below the crotch curve. I have yet to start sewing, but I hope to start tonight.

I am very motivated to get this final version of the pants done tonight as I have a client project on the go. A flower girl type dress. The challenge will be in the pattern itself. The pattern was chosen from my stash of patterns, but the measurements of the girl are for the size range down from my pattern. As a result, I have to grade down the pattern. In case this doesn't work out, I found a copy of the smaller size online. It should arrive next week sometime. The client has already bought and dropped off the fabric, so I can get started this weekend on a cotton muslin. I also am awaiting delivery on some rip stop nylon for a group of 3 salon capes and matching stylist aprons for 3 stylists at the salon where I get my hair done. Once that arrives, I can whip those out in a couple of days. My business is starting up slowly, but nicely, I think. These two projects along with some private sewing lessons I have been asked to give over the summer will be a nice little start to Newman's Needle. Now all I have to do is set up a price list and print off some business cards ...

Eventually I would love to have a commercial embroidery machine to expand my client base a bit more ... but that will have to wait a year or two, I think. I need to earn quite a bit before I get to that point! I don't want to finance the whole purchase, so I would like to have at least 50% of the cost in hand before I buy.

1 comment:

  1. OOhh clients! Let me know how that progresses- it sounds like a nice mix between creative(the dress) and down and dirty (the capes and such). I often wondered what kind of fabric stylist capes were made of - ripstop is is good idea. Off to BC today - thanks again for you help!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave hints, tips and tricks that apply to the post.